Spoleto cancels 2020 festival, citing practical and public health concerns amid coronavirus pandemic


Provided

Show will go on in 2021

Spoleto Festival USA announced on Tuesday that for the first time in the festival's 43 year history, the annual 17-day celebration of artistic innovation and tradition will be canceled, another cultural mainstay nixed by the worldwide coronavirus pandemic.

In a Spoleto board meeting earlier in the day, executive director Nigel Redden said, due to growing concerns about the spread of the virus, it would be "irresponsible to continue."

While the cancellation of a festival that draws artists and attendees from all over the world may seem like a common sense move during these unprecedented times, Redden and Spoleto board president Bill Medich laid out other basic obstacles the festival faced if it moved forward.

Reasons included but were not limited to: the inability to hold rehearsals with a group of more than 50 people through May 15 as mandated by the city; limitations on international travel; and the chance that College of Charleston's residence halls may be unavailable, which the festival uses to house its production team.

"This was certain to be one of our more memorable seasons," said Medich during the a board meeting via conference call on Tuesday morning.

The season had already garnered national coverage, most notably of its world premiere-commissioned opera, Omar, written by Rhiannon Giddens. Both Medich and Redden point out that Giddens and her team are happy to have more time to work on the opera, and they've put down their dates to participate in the festival next year. 

Redden hopes to "transpose" much of this season's schedule onto 2021, with plans in place for next year being pushed to 2022. "I think very little explanation is needed for why we are are canceling," said Redden. "I think artists will be grateful for what we are able to provide and that we want to have them back in the future."

According to Medich, Spoleto intends to continue paying its staff "without any hesitation." He said, "The overall financial challenges are significant, but not something we can't overcome. It's not debilitating or threatening to the festival, but it is significant."

The Spoleto team is working on virtual offerings including playing recordings of chamber music concerts from years past, and possibly broadcasting a recording of 2016's Porgy & Bess on local TV.

"We don't want the festival to fall out of people's minds," said Jessie Bagley, the festival's director of marketing and public relations. "We want to stay as relevant as we can and keep adapting to the world around us. We're brainstorming some ideas as soon as we get past this."

Ticket holders for 2020 will receive credit to their Spoleto accounts for use on any future festival purchase. Ticket holders may choose to donate the value of their ticket to the festival or elect to receive a full or partial refund.

The 45th season of Spoleto Festival USA is scheduled to take place May 28-June 13, 2021.

Support the Charleston City Paper

We’ve been covering Charleston since 1997 and plan to be here with the latest and Best of Charleston for many years to come. In a time where local journalism is struggling, the City Paper is investing in the future of Charleston as a place where diverse, engaging views can flourish. We can't do it without our readers. If you'd like to support local, independent journalism:

UP NEXT FROM

FEATURE

The Citadel recruits an acting coach and a retired drill sergeant for Biloxi Blues

Vincent Harris

Fri. Oct. 30 – Sun. Nov. 17:30 p.m. (Fri. & Sat.), 3 p.m. (Sun.)$30, $20 (students)South of Broadway Theatre Co.(843) 745-0317southofbroadway.com If playwright Neil Simon’s semi-autobiographical play Brighton Beach Memoirs is his Star Wars, think of 1984’s Biloxi Blues as his Empire Strikes Back. The play, set in 1945, tells the story of young Brooklynite […]


IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

Before You Go: New cranes in N. Charleston; Positive rate tops 15%

South Carolina health officials reported 636 new cases of coronavirus Wednesday and 32 additional confirmed deaths.

Marcus Amaker, Charlton Singleton talk justice in music in new series

Charleston poet laureate Marcus Amaker and Charlton Singleton of Gullah band Ranky Tanky will release the first three episodes of their new series “Raising the Volume” on Oct. 28.

More than 1 million SC voters have already cast ballots

South Carolina is approaching half the total record turnout it saw in 2016 from absentee ballots alone with a little less than a week until the polls close for good. In total, nearly a third of registered voters in the state have already cast ballots in the 2020 presidential election. In 2016, 2.1 million votes […]

10/28 COVID-19 update: 15.5% positive, 636 cases; 32 deaths

COVID-19 updates: South Carolina health officials reported 636 new cases of coronavirus on Wednesday, with 32 additional confirmed deaths. With 4,096 tests on Wednesday, 15.5 percent came back positive. As of 1:48 p.m. Oct. 28, via S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control:Confirmed cases in S.C.:  165,477 (+636)Positive tests in Charleston County (total): 16,676 (+27)Negative tests in S.C.: 1,695,189Deaths in S.C. […]