1. Sanctuary at Kiawah. If you’ve got the money, honey, head out to Kiawah Island. Gigantic pools, luxurious rooms, pristine beaches, and world-class dining await.
2. Beaufort. A little less than two hours down the road, this little riverside town is perfect for a lazy weekend getaway, with just enough shops and restaurants to keep you occupied.
3. Go camping. Pack your tent, bug spray, and some beer, and hit the road. Edisto Island and Hunting Island are two swell places to camp on the beach. Because there’s nothing as perfect as waking up to a view of the sunrise over the ocean, even if you do have to sleep on the ground.
4. Savannah. Our slightly shabbier sister to the south has great shopping and plenty of sightseeing opportunities. Plus, you can drink out in the street. ‘Nuff said.
5. Asheville. Yeah, you could head to Atlanta and Charlotte, but why would you? Those are two soulless hellholes. Instead, head to Asheville, a rather charming mountain town with a certain counterculture-meets-backwoods flair. Warning: The place is overrun with hippies.