With styles ranging from psychedelic prog-punk to shaggy beach tunes to heavy metal karaoke, Charleston’s music scene covers a wide expanse of genres and offers something satisfying to live music fans of all ages. This test consists of sentence completion questions. Each sentence has two blanks; following each sentence are four choices. Select the ones that best fit the meaning of the sentence — even if the other answer seems funnier.
1. While they’ve been heralded as a favorite Carolina ———— band for years, The Blue Dogs actually got their start while attending college in ————.
A. punk … Georgia
2. Through the late ’90s and early 2000s, Jump (a.k.a. ———— ) were considered one of Charleston’s most original rock bands. But they actually originated in the college town of ———— before relocating to Charleston.
A. Junk … Athens, Ga.
3. ———— is the only member of S.C. hit makers Hootie & The Blowfish who grew
A. Lee Greenwood … Eutawville
4. Monopolistic media conglomerate ———— owns five local radio stations, including The Drive 100.5, Y-102.5 FM, ————, Q-104.5 FM, and WSC Talk 730 AM.
A. Viacom … 96.1 FM WAVF 96 Wave
5. Local alternative rock quartet The Working Title released their major label debut, ————, this summer on the ———— label.
A. Can’t Fight This Feelin’
6. The Explorers Club, one of the busiest ———— bands in town, is mostly comprised of
A. punk rock … quench
7. Johnny Puke, considered to be a champion of ————, is an ardent supporter of the local music scene and a decent-minded booking agent for local club ———.
A. the sport of boxing … Trayce’s First String
8. When he’s not working the floor at Precision Music in ————, locals can regularly catch skilled rock guitarist Bryn Wilson playing solos and riffs with popular Charleston bar band ————.
A. Summerville … Smokehouse
9. Charleston-based vocalist ———— competed on TV’s American Idol, toured with popular singer ————, and recently co-headlined such recent local musical cabarets as That ’60s Soul Show and That ’70s Soul Show.
A. Quiana Parler … Clay Aiken
10. Local radio personality Kain Cameron (of Y-102.5) regularly performs as blues rocker ———— alongside other local and visiting artists during the annual Piccolo Spoleto music event ———— (now in its 10th year).
A. Roy Orbison … That ’50s Show
11. Led by guitarist ————, the technically proficient cover band Plane Jane performs shows at on different nights all three ———— locations in Charleston every week.
A. Rik Cribb … Kickin’ Chicken
12. This hard-hitting, local ———— band renamed themselves after their most recent studio album, from “quench” to the new moniker ————.
A. indie-pop … Explorers Club
13. Songwriter and ———— Michael Flynn enjoyed great success this year performing and recording with his group under the new band name of ————.
A. guitarist … The Films
14. Singer Rhonda Wall used to front her own blues and boogie combo, ————, on a weekly basis at the upstairs venue ———— on King Street.
A. Rhonda & The Rodents … the Upper Deck
15. Before kicking up some dust as the bandleader of local blues/rock band The BootyRanch, guitarist ———— used to play the local clubs in longtime Charleston act ————.
A. Jody Porter … Astrojet