He just seems to want to return to a time when America was great.
Yes Vanessa, let's open a Peruvian, an Ethiopian and a Burmese Restaurant that will each be destined to fail within a couple of months just for your deserving palate.
Please tell me about any local coffee shops that stay open into the night like Starbucks? The only ones I know of nowadays close their doors pretty early. I'd happily support local coffee shops over corporate ones, but I'm having a difficult time finding ones that fit my schedule.
This radio station is a God-send
Jeeze Mr. Hammond, are you saying that you agree that Mr. Corley's behavior? That punching a woman in the face, pointing a gun at her and threatening her to kill her, plus allegedly cheating, is acceptable and people that don't agree are leftist? What reason do you have to try to disparage this paper? I hope you would not punch a women in the face or threaten to kill someone with that gun in your picture. Mr. Corley does not sound like a good person to me.
You are eating at the wrong places. When you buy a glass of wine you are not just paying for that glass. You are also paying for the electric bill, the storage space required, the employees that order the wine pour and wash your dirty glass which also includes the water bill. You are also confusing what restaurants should stop doing as to what customers should stop doing. And if you think all shrimp and grits are the same you absolutely do not know what you are talking about. If you plan on coming to my workplace you better make a reservation at least 6-8 weeks out during the summer make it 12. You don't get that kind of business for serving average food. As far as recognition for teachers doctors and scientists there are awards and recognition you just choose to write about something else and not them.
"As an animal lover, I don't think horses should be used as a nostalgic practice to schlep tourists around our city for money."
Oh really? Then I guess you prefer the alternative of caring for, housing, feeding, and healing expensive horses.....the glue factory.
Here's a hint, genius. Park in places where it's legal and you won't get a ticket.
Works for the rest of us when we're downtown.
10 New Year Resolutions for the Pompous Hipsters Writers at the CCP
1. Update the wardrobe, you look the fool.
2. Less kale, less weed, fewer cigarettes.
3. No more click-bait nutcase lib opinion pieces.
4. Stop trying to play an instrument, you're not musical, you can't sing either.
5. Lose the beard.
6. Not everyone who thinks you're an ass is a Trump supporter.
7. You don't actually speak for most blacks, gays, or the disenfranchise, you just think you do. The majority find you annoying and douchey.
8. Your lifestyle is not unique, it's just odd, and nobody really cares.
9. Best not to be uber judgmental when you live in a tiny far left bubble in the reddest of red States.
10. Find a real writing job. Good luck with this one.
Domestic abuse against women is the second most popular sport in the state after college football. It's really no surprise that the yokels in Aiken County are shuffling their feet on this. Just like Charleston has a brand to protect, so does Deliverance country.
Another reason to worry:
I think everyone should take to go. It's wasteful NOT to. Even if you don't eat it, give it to someone in need in the street. When I was a server it used to frustrate me so much that people
Would take two bites if a meal and leave he rest behind. THAT is wasteful. That's the only thing I staunchly disagree about.
Maybe instead of just complaining Phillip could have done a little research and promoted Taste of Black Charleston.
When the police stop texting and driving, maybe they'll start thinking about enforcing the law
Dear Charleston City Paper,
"Support black-owned and operated restaurants."
We hope you will support and sponsor local events like Taste of Black Charleston. Taste of Black Charleston is a great event that highlights local minority chefs in the Charleston community. The Taste of Black Charleston presents a diverse sampling of food and beverages by a variety of restaurants and vendors. This is an ideal platform to introduce an establishment to a vibrant audience of potential customers while at the same time supporting a worthy cause. Proceeds to benefit local charities in partnership with Jack and Jill of America, Inc. Charleston Chapter. This event has helped catapult many local chefs into the next level of their business for example Charleston Gourmet Burger Company. We invite you and your readers to come on March 10, 2017 at the SC Aquarium where over 25+ chefs will be featured.
For more information contact me at 803.292.8762.
Charleston Market Manager- TMG/Black Expo South-Charleston
Kudos to trump for his win! Now he needs a diverse cabinet:
Postscript in reply to Amadeus:
For those readers who are not familiar with how Birch Society members and supporters behave:
1. The comments by Amadeus are fairly typical of how Birchers present their viewpoints. Very rarely does any Bircher enter a discussion in an amicable and friendly manner.
2. Typically, Birchers assume the worst about their perceived opponents or critics. Instead of starting a friendly conversation by asking questions or presenting their best case for whatever viewpoint they subscribe to, you will discover that they immediately malign the integrity and character (and often the patriotism) of their critics -- as Amadeus did with me.
3. As I mentioned in my previous message, most Birchers (like Amadeus) merely parrot whatever the Birch Society tells them to believe. It is extremely rare for any Bircher to perform independent research (i.e. using NON-Birch Society sources).
What also needs to be considered is that the Birch Society does NOT allow outside independent researchers to have access to its archives for historical research.
4. Consequently, no matter what JBS-related subject is being disputed, the ONLY possible way to resolve whatever is in dispute is for someone to have the time, resources, ability, and inclination to discover what are often very obscure and/or costly sources of factual data.
For example: no ordinary layman could possibly debate Amadeus about The Politician's history or present a factual summary regarding how the Birch Society used the original "private letter" manuscript in 1959 and 1960 to recruit and/or educate new JBS members unless that layman had access to (1) JBS archives or (2) JBS National Council member personal papers which are archived at various colleges and universities around our country and (3) FBI files--many of which are now no longer available or very difficult and expensive to obtain.
5. Furthermore, keep in mind that the above information refers to only ONE subject in dispute. Amadeus and his allies have a bottomless pit of grievances and criticisms which they are prepared to unload onto any person who dares to dispute their beliefs.
6. Lastly, it should be kept in mind that people like Amadeus are not genuinely interested in facts or truth.
Instead, their objective is indoctrination. They believe that they are in possession of an Ultimate Final Truth (UFT) and it is their purpose in life to share their UFT with everyone they can reach.
If the target of their propaganda disagrees or expresses skepticism or criticism then Amadeus and other Birchers will immediately engage in libelous attacks upon their perceived opponent. Usually, Birchers describe all criticism of the JBS as "smear attacks" -- regardless of whatever evidence is produced.
In short -- Amadeus and his fellow Birchers believe that the JBS is infallible and they will NEVER acknowledge that the Birch Society has made grave errors in its analyses or conclusions. In addition, these Birchers will circulate totally false information because it expresses their accumulated anger, grievance, and sense of impotence about our modern history.
Thank you Stephanie.
Not that I see anything about this in the article, but when we lived in the Charleston area (up until about 2 years ago) I used to love being greeted by Billy Hall at his restaurant. And receiving thank-you cards signed by the entire family.
They're doing pretty well these days as I understand it.
So this guy has now written, by my count, 5 whiny articles for city paper and I do not understand how or why they keep letting him write these useless rants that he would otherwise have just posted on his fb page. Aside from this article we had one requiring mandatory 20% tipping, another one bemoaning getting a parking ticket, another about wanting the horse and carriage thing to be shut down, and another one about how sensitive he is to the innocuous question of asking a waiter if he goes to college (he also found it necessary to brag about how he makes more than a school teacher) This man has major personal grievances and wants the whole city to know it and wants laws changed to force people and businesses to change their behavior in a way that is more convenient to his political ideology. He belongs in Vermont with the rest of the socialist Bernie supporters, or better yet in Sweden. No one is forcing you to be a waiter Philip! If you are so miserable in Charleston then move! Stop complaining about every little nuance you can think of, how did you even get this side gig writing for the city paper? Are you volunteering or getting paid? Because if you're getting paid to complain isn't that at least one thing to be happy about? What a smug, PC, downer.
Powered by Foundation
© Copyright 2017,
Charleston City Paper