Friday, October 14, 2016

The Agenda: T-Rav may be able to vote after all; Pee Dee flooding remains a danger; Groups ask for Summey resignation

T-Rav for T-Rump

Posted by Sam Spence on Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:00 AM

  • Bravo screenshot

Ongoing flooding continues to threaten communities along the Waccamaw and Great Pee Dee River basins, with water levels rising and forcing evacuations. About 90 percent of the S.C. customers who lost power during last week's storm have had electricity restored. Source: P&C, AP

Damage assessments are still in progress ahead of any possible FEMA emergency financial relief being granted in those communities. Source: Florence Morning News, WBTW-TV

Turns out you can't assume that a political heir who served time in the federal pen and moonlights as a reality TV star knows everything about the details of his felony drug conviction: P&C asked around and Thomas Ravenel may actually be able to vote, despite of what he heard or found on Google. Source: P&C

Though the name of the company hasn't been disclosed, North Charleston says that plans are reportedly coming together for a shopping center including a grocery store to be built on the old Shipwatch Square property along Rivers Avenue. Source: CRBJ

Keith Lamont Scott, the man shot and killed by Charlotte police last month, will finally be laid to rest today near Charleston. His funeral was originally scheduled for last week before storms forced a change of plans. Source: Live 5

The NAACP and National Action Network have called for the resignation of Charleston County Council Chairman Elliott Summey over statements he made about race and an African-American member of county council. Summey apologized for the comments and it appears that he won't be asked to step down from his leadership position by his colleagues. Source: P&C, Live 5

Tags: ,

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Convicted felon Thomas Ravenel endorses Donald Trump

Felons for Trump

Posted by Sam Spence on Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:44 AM

  • Bravo screenshot / Gage Skidmore
You might know Thomas Ravenel as the reality TV star of Southern Charm. You might know him as the former treasurer of the State of South Carolina. You also might know him as a convicted felon who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute cocaine and served 10 months in federal prison.

However you know him, Thomas Ravenel wants you to vote for Donald Trump.

You see, T-Rav says he can't help elect Donald Trump "because of my conviction." But as a human on Facebook, Lord knows that doesn't disqualify him from having opinions. And last night he exercised that right, calling Hillary Clinton a "great con artist" and saying that "If you believe that our Country should be great and provide equality and opportunity to ALL its citizens then you must vote for Trump."

We're not pretending to be the arbiters of what's great (or incredible or amazing for that matter), and have no idea what Ravenel's definition of 'equality and opportunity' is, but we can fact check one point he made: Whether or not Thomas Ravenel can vote, you can.

NOTE: T-Rav deleted his Facebook post Thursday night, but here it is, recorded for posterity:
  • Facebook screenshot
UPDATE: Updated to clarify T-Rav's statement about his qualification to vote.

Tags: , , , , ,

Ta-Nehisi Coates' CofC lecture postponed until further notice

New date TBD

Posted by Connelly Hardaway on Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Ta-Nehisi Coates - PROVIDED
  • Provided
  • Ta-Nehisi Coates
Due to a change in his schedule, journalist and author Ta-Nehisi Coates has postponed his Oct. 18 lecture at TD Arena. Coates was supposed to present his talk, "A Deeper Black: Race in America,” as a part of the College of Charleston’s Race and Social Justice Initiative 2016 event series. A new date has not been announced. 

In the meantime, you can learn more about the Race and Social Justice Initiative here. 

Tags: ,

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Tips for trash pickup post-Hurricane Matthew

Patience is key

Posted by Chris Beckley on Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 4:47 PM

  • City of North Charleston
In the wake of Hurricane Matthew there is a lot of cleaning up to do. While city sanitation services have been working long hours to make pickups there is still a lot of trash around. Read on for area pickups.

The City of Mount Pleasant, whose garbage service resumed normally on Monday, has asked for patience as it could take weeks for the wreckage to be completely disposed of due to the high volume.

The City of Charleston issued a reminder that burning trash in the county is against the law. The South Carolina Forestry Commission also has outlined the danger of open fires and how quickly they can spread.

In North Charleston debris collection is running one day behind and will not be collecting debris from businesses. Their people are working 12 hour shifts and their trash collection is on schedule.

So you might be stuck with your trash for a while. But while it's sitting around you might as well make it easier to pick up. The city of Charleston has given the mnemonic CHEAT to help with organizing debris from Hurricane Mathew.

C stands for Construction debris. This includes drywall, lumber, furniture, plumbing and other building materials. H stands for Hazardous waste. Batteries, paint, pesticide, cleaning supplies and compressed gasses are all examples of hazardous materials. E stands for Electronics. Things like televisions, radios, telephones and computers all fit into this category. A is for Appliances. This is where you lay to rest the fridge that didn’t make it along with AC units, washers, microwaves, etc. Last but not least T is for trees and vegetation. This includes all those leaves and sticks that fell in your yard.

It's recommended that you place anything for collection within 10 feet of the curb, not on the street and in areas that don’t block anything. Everything should be removed from your appliances and furniture.

Tags: , ,

City officials assess damages following Hurricane Matthew

Our enemy, the trees

Posted by Dustin Waters on Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM

White Point Garden following massive flooding caused by Hurricane Matthew - DUSTIN WATERS
  • Dustin Waters
  • White Point Garden following massive flooding caused by Hurricane Matthew
Not a single injury or death as a result of Hurricane Matthew was reported in the city of Charleston, according to Mayor John Tecklenburg. Recovery efforts have been largely successful throughout the city following the storm that left hundreds of local streets impassable and thousands without power.

“The city’s focus right now is getting back to normal, and we’ve made a lot of really good progress on that. We’ve gone through the preparation and response phase. Now we’re into the recovery phase,” said Charleston’s Emergency Management Director Mark Wilbert.

Prior to the storm’s arrival in the Lowcountry, the city of Charleston distributed 15,500 sandbags. Hurricane Matthew left 240 city streets closed or impassable. As of Tuesday evening, those roadways were once again passable. With king tides expected later this week, local agencies are preparing for the possibility of additional flooding on vulnerable roadways.

Hurricane Matthew and the massive power outages that came in its wake left more than 100 traffic signals non-operational in the city of Charleston. By Tuesday, only 10 were said to still be malfunctioning, according to Wilbert. One of those signals still lacked electricity, four require major repairs, and five had only minor issues.

More than 10,000 people in the city remained without power Tuesday — 7,500 SCE&G customers and 2,700 Berkeley Electric Cooperative customers. Fallen and broken trees posed a major threat around the city, due to the powerful winds and major flooding brought on by Matthew. Almost 300 reports of fallen trees and related issues were called in to city agencies. More than 80 fallen trees and limbs have been removed from city right-of-ways.

“President [Barack] Obama has declared a major disaster declaration for the tri-county area, but I want to give you the facts on that. ... That’s for public assistance, so that will take care of public projects and public funding, “said Wilbert. “The counties have not yet met the criteria for individual assistance, which is the money that goes to homeowners. That’s strictly because the timeline hasn’t reached that point yet. We haven’t even submitted our damage assessments yet.”

U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford said Tuesday that he is confident that the damage faced by Lowcountry residents will qualify many local counties for additional government assistance to aid in recovering from the storm, but acknowledged that the federal application process can be lengthy.

“You have to hit certain thresholds in overall aggregate damage. I believe that we will hit that in Charleston County,” said Sanford. “I believe we will hit that in Beaufort and Dorchester counties. Not as sure about Berkeley County, but one the thresholds have been hit, it opens up certain possibilities in terms of individual assistance.”

Tags: , , , ,

Classified Listings
Most Viewed

Powered by Foundation   © Copyright 2016, Charleston City Paper   RSS