NAACP and Chas. cops chat
- Charleston Chief Greg Mullen, Sheriff Al Cannon, and NAACP reps gathered at Morris Brown AME Church Thursday (P&C)
night to discuss a recent ACLU survey that showed more African-Americans are arrested on pot charges than whites. Cannon and Mullen emphasized that local cops don't racial profile, but NAACP President Dot Scott had other thoughts, "Racial profiling happens... I’m sick and tired of people telling me it’s not really what you see, don’t believe your lying eyes."
Rand in S.C. - U.S. Senator Rand Paul
, described by The State as "of filibuster fame," will be in South Carolina this weekend (State)
to speak with GOP groups in Columbia and the Upstate, marking Paul's second trip to S.C. this year after being snubbed by the SCGOP in May over a keynote address invitation that instead went to Sen. Ted Cruz of the left wing conspiracy against golf courses fame. (Krugman)
- After all's said and done, state lawmakers overruled (AP)
Gov. Nikki Haley on 46 of 81 vetoes she handed down this week.
Certificate of Need
- DHEC Director Catherine Templeton says her agency is suspending the Certificate of Need program
after Gov. Haley vetoed funding for the regulators in the state budget. The state Certificate of Need program oversees expansion and spending on health services facilities.
- SLED officers say they're planning to seize the computer (WIS)
of Fairfield County Administrator Phil Hinley, who was reprimanded earlier this year for sending porn from his work email account.
- Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx was confirmed unanimously (USA Today)
by the U.S. Senate yesterday to be the new trnasportation secretary.
New Gorilla at Riverbanks
- Riverbanks Zoo announced (AP)
yesterday that the zoo has a new gorilla named Ajari, who comes from the Knoxville Zoo.
- State health officials say that, despite orders to stay home (State)
, a man who tested positive for tuberculosis and is suspected for being patient zero in a Greenwood County outbreak, visited a grocery store and a home improvement store. Nice little weekend.