Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Nikki FITS: "Are you sure you want to delete?"

Posted by Greg Hambrick on Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM

The Nikki FITS is the (make-believe) name for the coolest political garage punk band ever. For our complete coverage of the gubernatorial campaign scandal, click here.

We've got two more posts from Will Folks and his blogging staff at FITSnews that move the story forward regarding his alleged affair with gubernatorial GOP primary leader Nikki Haley.

The first post suggested that Folks (rightly) previously deleted the most damning e-mails with Haley. After all, his first priority after the relationship ended was to personally keep this hidden. Now that he needs it to be out there in the public, he's desperately searching for what he can dig up on his hard drives.

In an effort to corroborate and expand upon existing documentation already in our possession regarding the “he said, she said” spat between Folks and Haley — on Tuesday FITS began the process of turning over two of our founding editor’s laptop computers, two of his cell phones and an external hard drive to a forensic analyst to begin the process of extracting any additional relevant data.

FITS has also began the process of gathering additional information from Sic Willie’s various wireless and email providers.

But a post this morning offers enough to suggest Folks was coordinating a response with the Haley campaign up until he'd decided to go public without them.

Post and Courier has confirmed at least some of the e-mails with political consultant Wes Donahue.

Our favorites:

—— SMS ——
From: Wes Donehue
To: Will Folks
Sent: May 13, 2010 2:55 PM

I just don’t know who has told more people, you or Nikki.

—— SMS ——
From: Will Folks
To: Tim Pearson (Haley's campaign manager)
Sent: May 14, 2010 1:20 PM

Word I hear is that wes is shopping an affidavit

—— SMS ——
From: Tim Pearson
To: Will Folks
Sent: May 14, 2010 1:21 PM

Ah. My initial thought is if it aint from you or nh then its a tough sell

—— SMS ——
From: Tim Pearson
To: Will Folks
Sent: May 15, 2010 2:57 PM

I think we both deny it. I think an affadavit is something we can beat down. Legally and politically.

—— SMS ——
From: Tim Pearson
To: Will Folks
Sent: May 15, 2010 2:58 PM

I’m telling you man, we keep this under wraps and nh is going to win.

——-Missed Call————
Date: 5/17/2010 1:13p
Duration: 0:00
From: Nikki Haley

—— SMS ——
From: Will Folks
To: Tim Pearson
Sent: May 20, 2010 4:29 PM

Fucking nuts. People saying davenport story is imminent. I am honestly losing my mind a little.

—— SMS ——
From: Tim Pearson
To: Will Folks
Sent: May 20, 2010 4:31 PM

I’m hearing buzz abt it too. But I don’t think he has anything. He hasn’t called you recently?

—— SMS ——
From: Tim Pearson
To: Will Folks
Sent: May 21, 2010 8:01 AM

Don’t sweat the small stuff. Anonymous comments aren’t shit. They have been digging on this for a year.

—— SMS ——
From: Tim Pearson
To: Will Folks
Sent: May 21, 2010 8:10 AM

I know desperation is the mother of all invention — but I feel like whatever they come up with will be manufactured — and transparently so.

—— SMS ——
From: Will Folks
To: Tim Pearson
Sent: May 22, 2010 1:08 PM

Yes or I will text you. Nikki knows about the picture from last year. Bottom line I don’t know that they don’t have it. That threat has been made.

—— SMS ——
From: Tim Pearson
To: Will Folks
Sent: May 22, 2010 5:50 PM

Ok. Call me as soon as you can. I’m with michael (Haley's husband) and nikki so as soon as I’m back in the car I can’t talk. Need to chat before she sees davenport.

Pearson confirms the exchange to CNN, but says it was in the context of defusing false claims.

The extensive exchanges, particularly the unanswered call from Haley, reminded me of this back and forth Haley had with a reporter Monday night.

News 4’s Mandy Gaither asked Haley if Will Folks said anything to her before the allegations came out on his blog.

“No,” said Haley.

“So, you had no idea? You were blind-sided?” said Gaither.

“I mean, look. This is what I will tell you. It is absolutely not true. My husband and I have been married for 13 years. We've been faithful to each other,” said Haley. “I will not stop pushing for good government no matter what they throw at me two weeks prior to the election.”.

Tags: , , , , ,