held a contest in January
to rename the Big Nasty, their highly caloric breakfast creation that shared its moniker with a trademarked sandwich at McAlister’s Deli. More than 1,800 ideas were submitted, ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous, according to the folks at Hominy. Submissions fell into some distinct camps:
1. Hominy-themed: Homina Homina, Hominator, Hominicious Biscuit, Homwrecker, Hominy Hammer, Hominy Hunk
2. Gravy-based: Glutton Gravy, Gravy Train, Smothered Southerner, Smothered Clucker, Gravy Baby, Death By Gravy
3. Charleston-themed: Poultry & Bess, Porgy & Beescuit, Scourge of King George, Two-ton Charleston, The Joe, Low Country, Big Charleston, Lord Ashley, Dirty Dixie, Riley O’ Biscuit.
4. And others: Kitchen Sink, Slap your Cardiologist, Wear your sweatpants, So Fried Your Momma Cried, Glory Roll, Bombastic, King Coma, Sloppy Jalopy, Chicken Choker, Grubby Grub, Boom-shocka, Hot Mess, Big Raunchy, Chicken Thang, Gnarly Nasty, Hugh Jass, Fat & Sassy, Sloppy Cluck, Large & in Charge.
5) Anti-McAlisters: Massively Messy McAlister, Little Legal Matter, Litigation Biscuit, the Cease & Desist, Big McNasty.
In the end, Robert Stehling chose to keep it simple and go with the straightforward Charleston Nasty.